Monday, May 07, 2012

The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men

Gang aft agley

Thank you Robert Burns.  Scot, poet, but I have no idea if he knit.


Today my intentions were bested by trying to make the blog look like a tech savvy knitter lives here, not just a person who plops a Blogger template over the top of it all.  I have not succeeded in making the blog look nice, nor have I succeed in getting a creditable post together.


I wanted to show this nifty cast on for knitting for the center out that I learned at Cheryl's knitaway, and that I have been practicing like a mad woman.  It is so simple and really, really FUN!  I will post this next week.


Instead I give you the perfect knitting chairs.  Recently my mom redecorated her living room.  She purchased a chair that her decorator had fits about, but she loved the chair, and honestly it is her living room so I think she gets to do what she wants.  It wasn't until I was examining her favorite armchair that I noticed something about it...  it lacks arms!  It is a lovely, well upholstered, comfy, supportive chair with no arms at all! Great for freedom of arm movement.  Then I realized something about my favorite knitting chair, similarly it is comfy, plush and pretty, and lacks arms!  I purchased this chair a few years ago to sit in a small area in my kitchen where arms would have been a liability.  I sit and knit there a lot.  Little did I know that its armlessness was a selling point for knitters.


There is one slight problem with my chair.  I have competition for it....




Atticus is quite the lounge dog, and this chair suits him well.


Here is a glimpse at the nifty cast on for knitting from the center out.  It truly is a great way to cast on, and works like a charm - you can actually knit quite a few rows with just three needles!!!!  No more porcupine knitting!




I realize this just looks like center out knitting... but the cast on is so clever!!!  Can't wait to share.


One final note, since I am experiencing a personal knitting Renaissance I dug out my stash.  I have a yarn store in my attic!  Most yarns were destined for some project or another, but now are ripe for re assignment!  I plan to revisit Butterfly from Rowan....  I have enough Kid Silk squirreled away to knit it , and a  new confidence in reading charts!


Until next time, be creative!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this the top of a hat? It looks quite fun to knit!

Chela Jane said...

It does look like a hat doesn't it, its actually a swatch for a center knit shawl... I've gone mad for lace lately, and love starting with just 8 stitches!