Thursday, July 14, 2005

Doldrums

Etymology: probably akin to Old English dol foolish
1 : a spell of listlessness or despondency
2 often capitalized : a part of the ocean near the equator abounding in calms, squalls, and light shifting winds
3 : a state or period of inactivity, stagnation, or slump

I am becalmed in the wide Yarngasso sea, without a breath of air to lift my sail... It's hot. Yarn sticks to my hands and my lap. Some of my crew have taken to eating my bamboo needles for lack of proper chew toys. My imagination is parboiled. I am listless, and my crew lies on the ground barely lifting their heads or wagging their tails.

And yet I feel a sea change in the air. The fiber currents are starting to shift. Yesterday I was moved to buy this gorgeous hank (since wound on my trusty ball winder) of mercerized cotton for a special secret project...


I cast on for Garland in the lush and lustrous Cashcotton.

You will notice that I have decided to use a provisional cast on, since the garment is finished with a picot edging and requires you to pick up 274 stitches on the hem edge to do this... why pick up those stitches if you can keep them live sez I!

There is also a great deal of excitement in the literary department; two days and counting until HP!

The likelihood of knitting this weekend: 23%
The likelihood of hammock swinging: 100%

No comments: