Friday, October 07, 2005

"FO" is for folly

or foolish, or foolhardy... woe to me who blithely substitutes yarn. The gauge widthwise was perfect on my 4x4 swatch, it was one row longer lengthwise, which I did not worry about so much as I have a long back, and like my sweaters to reach the waistband of my pants (and with waistbands falling as they have recently this sometimes leaves me with a big patch of flesh bared that I'd rather have covered). So I knit for a 36 inch bust. Oh well, my tiny mother will have a nice new sweater to keep her warm in Colorado's winter.

Here it is, in its tiny glory



And a shot of the collar, which I love, love, love!



And the sleeve, again, love!



Details: Drop-Stitch Cardigan from Interweave, Fall 2005. Knit with Manos in colorway #109 (on a side note, you would think that Manos might be able to name their colorways - 109 is just so bleh. This colorway reminds me of wonderful berries, leaves, and twigs, perfect fall colors - "berries and chocolate with mint garnish", or "Autumn walk in the woods", even "Yum" would be better.) Knit on size 8 bamboo circs. It was a fun fast knit. Its great fun to drop and pull out stitches when you are supposed to do it. I recommend this pattern, and will knit it again, but might try it in the wool suggested. The zipper is a bit messy, but to tell the truth when I realized that it wasn't going to fit me I lost interest. In fact the front is finished with an i-cord zipper placket, which I did not do. Can I just say that making i-cord is about the least fun you can have with two sticks and string. How horrible am I to admit that I am going to give this away, and that I didn't do my best work on it. So smack me.

I am on a finishing streak. Next on the list is Garland. And I have my suspicions that I will be able house a small family in this one... looks big...

2 comments:

Christie said...

That is so cute! I saw it in the mag and thought it looked interesting. You're mom is lucky to get such a purty sweater!

Anonymous said...

It looks like a great sweater. To bad you can't block the hell out of it and get it to fit you! I've got some Manos in the same color, just a couple of skeins, but it's a great colorway. I agree, names would be nice