Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Little Fuzzy Friends

I would like to introduce you to Mrs. Beeton, or at least my approximation of her warmness.



Both yarns I used are Rowan; Kid Silk in Majestic of course and the other is CashSoft (I threw away the tag!!!) with a little sparkle. I did not use beads. Why? Well, I'll tell you why, I was having an all out championship battle with Kid Silk. I threaded my beads, cast on my stitches and found that I had cast them on such that not even the Governor of California could budge them! I literally had to cut the cast on stitches off the needle. I tried again with a larger needle, same problem. So, as I am pretty much a newbie with this yarn I decided to try it solo without the added headache of the beading. The pattern is great fun (when you aren't fighting with your yarn). And, I have had more compliments on them. They are great conversation starters, just today I was asked about the cute sweater peaking out of my jacket, astonishment and mirth followed when I pulled off my Mrs. Beeton's.

I have enoooooooooooooooormous respect for those of you who have knit anything more than a tid bit with Kid Silk. A little bird told me that Gromit intends to knit Butterfly, I certainly say she deserves a gold medal for taking on that endeavor. (Ms. Gromit helped me translate the pattern into American knitting directions, and to my eternal shame I have yet to even attempt it, my shame is compounded by the fact that I have yet to repay her for her kindness!)

On another front was anyone else as deeply disappointed by the latest Interweave and the Vogue winter issue? Not a thing I was moved to knit. Frankly I think Knitty presents some of the most innovative and unique patterns I have seen in a long time.

Off to gnitt some more!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I'm not attempting the Rowan Kid Silk Haze Butterfly. Nope, it's the Jane Ellison design in Kureyon -- much, much easier. I love the Mrs. Beeton's -- very retro looking in a cool way.

Christie said...

Those are so cute! I haven't tried the KSH, but mohair is often a pain in general. I get little hairs in my mouth, in my eyes, down my throat...but its so fun and girly!

Chela Jane said...

Oops about the Butterfly. But I am sure Jane Ellison's Butterfly is just as fab and challenging as Rowan's.

Any suggestions on how to tame mohair?