Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I think I broke my dog...

This past weekend we took the dogs to visit some friends who live on a ranch in Pescadero. There is a small pond on this ranch, Corsa and Godiva did what any right minded labradors would do, they swam until they coulnd't swim any more. Corsa sprained his bum (tail doesn't work so good right now) and Godiva is still tuckered out, three days later! Below is the Chiefmessmaker with Corsa. Godiva was too busy being the underbrush-jump-in-pond-smell-coyote-scat dog to stand still for a photo op



Our friends board a sheep at this ranch. Heidi, the poor sheep, has not been shorn in 13 months or so. I have never seen such an overloaded creature in my life. As a knitter I have never seen so much potential in once place at one time. I really did feel like Elmer Fudd looking at Bugs Bunny all trussed up like a Thanksgiving Turkey, except I was seeing Heidi dressed in all the potential sweaters that she could become...(being the bright girl that I am, I did not take a picture of this amazing sight).

There has been knitting, and not just the imagined kind either, but honest actual knitting, however it is all pretty boring. Next project has got to be lace or cables, or have weird short row shaping, because this stockinette knitting is driving me crazy!


I have been alternately drooling and questioning the newest Rowan designs in Rowan 38. Aside from the unique (cough) names that some of the projects have, some of them look really fascinating, and some are interesting (in "my isn't that ... interesting" way).

River, truly a lovely piece. And who doesn't need a lacy knit shawl (at least I think its a shawl).



Eowyn, fun funky, just what I need lacy, cabled teacher gloves*. Satisfying both as fashion accessories and a fun knit.



Bonnie, now did I miss something? I don’t see the knitwear…



Clyde, just as much of a rebel as Bonnie (those two), again looks lovely, but where is the knitting?



Armi, is well, interesting in that way that things are sometimes.



Felting is mentioned. And ya'll know how I am about the felting!!!

I have to get my grimy paws on this magazine! Some of the photography is very dark, I can’t make out the details. Has anyone see it up close and personal? Any thoughts on it? My LYS can't tell me when they will get their Rowan winter shipment!

*My high school, in Chile, lacked central heating. Imagine a large rectangular building, maybe the length of a football field, there is no central hallway. All the classrooms face out, and have large metal and glass doors. Paint the whole thing orange and black and you have Nido de Aguilas circa 1983. Each classroom is a equipped with one steam radiator. It was cold in the winter, cold and damp. Santiago’s climate is much like northern California, and Santiaginos always act indignant that winter comes upon them with such damp ferocity. Inside and out we wore our fingerless gloves and ponchos, not today’s frothy concoctions, but big, heavy, woven blanket like garments, very practical, very warm. Our teachers made fingerless gloves popular, easier to write on the board, hand out papers, run the ancient mimeograph machine. They were usually made of brown, grey and white alpaca, often decorated with an intarsia llama or alpaca. I miss those ponchos and gloves, but not those cold classrooms.

2 comments:

Coloratura said...

oooooh, digging the lacy knit shawl! so wish I had time to relearn knitting...

Anonymous said...

That River is awfully pretty. Have you seen the knitalong at savannahchik?

http://savannahchik.typepad.com/knitting/