Thursday, September 08, 2005

A rant, a plea, and some knitting

RANT

Last week I was employed and unhappy. Last Friday I learn that my boss dislikes me as much as I dislike him. Although I have not been fired, I have been "kindly" asked to look for employment elsewhere. He offered to allow me to stay until I find another job, condescendly telling me that it is "easier to find a job while you have a job". As if I am totally unaware of how the job market works... Humph! I am gave him two weeks. That leaves the other employees, who I quite like, in the lurch, but fuck it - I have hated that job since the day I took it.

The boss man said to me, upon hiring me, "I am hiring you despite the fact that your resume is funny". "Peculiar" not "haha". Possibly the Master of Arts threw him. Possibly the fact that my entire career up until that moment in time had been in the arts threw him. I took this job because it paid more than any non-profit arts job could ever imagine paying, and my husband had just been laid off. We had a mortgage, two car payments, not to mention groceries, electricity, gas, water and the like to pay. And yes, I stagnated. I was great on the phone, trained actors often are. But after the forty eleventh time I had to correct a numerical mistake I had made on a spreadsheet, my charisma started to wear thin. This past Friday it split down the middle. It has been a three-year run, not bad for off off off off off Broadway.

Fact: I have not been fired. Fact: I am no longer welcome at my job. Course of action: leave and finally do what I want to do. Problem: don't know what that is. Opportunity: get to find out. I don't do numbers, detail or coffee - beyond that I am pretty much game to try anything. Ideas are most welcome! Anyone want to look at my resume?
***
PLEA

Humane Society, Red Cross, click the links above.
****
KNITTING

There has been knitting, albeit kinda weird looking knitting.




Doesn't this remind you of a cast? I think I may have been my choice of color, plaster cast white... I think I might enjoy them in the winter. Although now there is really no danger of me developing carpal tunnel, as I won't be typing poorly crafted letters any more, I wonder if I will have a use for them. (No, not bitter, not me... just a little case of "boss got there before I did" Fucker!).

Pattern: Eowyn, Rowan 38
Needles: Crystal Palace Bamboo Circs size 10.5
Yarn for gauntlet: Blue Sky Alpaca Sport Weight in colors #000, and #004
Yarn for lace: 4 ply Alpaca purchased at Stitches West 2005 - brand unknown.

Another view



I am disappointed with the bulkiness of the seam. I have started another pair, this time knit in the round with double pointed needles. I'll post the specs as soon as they are done.

Rowan 38 is a home run. Bonnie and Clyde actually are knitted items - who knew! Clyde is a purse and Bonnie is a wee felted flower! Sweet.

Now need the new Rebecca. Rumor has it that a number of Bay Area knitters are in possession of it... I guess Saratoga is the knitting Bermuda Triangle.

1 comment:

Christie said...

I don't want to see your 'funny' resume.
I do want to see your second pair of Eowyn!
Your boss [former boss] sounds like a supreme @sshole...good riddance to old rubbish, right?

We actors can't stay where we're not appreciated.