Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Ta-da!

Yet another FO "Ruffles"



Details: purchased as a kit from the Knittingbag.com. Yarn is Meunch Serpentine, knit on size six bamboo circs. I purchased the kit because I could not find a purse frame anywhere!!!! I seamed it on the sewing machine as I though that would help it with a little rigidity. I sewed the purse frame casings on the sewing machine as well. The seam is a little wonky, but barely visible. Plus: cute as all get out. Minus: Serpentine is fiddly and horrible to work with, it sticks to your hands and snags very easily. I'll knit this one again, but in some other yarn.

It has been an exciting first week without work. Last Thursday the mum and I went to LA to see The Boy King! I bought the tickets way back in March, so it was a much anticipated trip. There are not that many artifacts from Tut's own tomb, but some very spectacular pieces nonetheless. I especially loved the "imitation folding stool with tail", a gorgeous wooden stool inlaid with a design to resemble an animal pelt including a wee tail! If anyone gets a chance to see it, don't pass it up. We also spent a good long day at the Getty. What a spectacular facility. I love that the galleries are small, and only hold a few works, makes the act of viewing more intimate and more accessible. There was a great exhibition of one of my all time favorite photographers Weegee. Just love his gritty, noir, and yet innocent photographs of murderers, whores, and just plain old people.

Then I started school again yesterday! Me, at almost 40, taking an intro to basic photography. Me, sitting in a class room with 50 kids just out of high school. Talk about feeling OLD. I think I might even be older than the instructor. I can't wait to get started.

Today I got an e-mail from an old friend with a lead on a directing gig. Its just a reading, but its also a place to start getting my artistic life back on track...

And a parting shot just for good measure.



More FOs very soon.

3 comments:

Christie said...

Oh my gosh that purse is fabulous! Despite the not so great yarn, it looks super!

I've been wanting to go see Tut...I guess I have until November. Isn't the Getty wonderful? Such a beautiful place to spend the day.

Awesome about the directing gig and school.

Rabbitch said...

I like that purse! It's faboo.

Fingers crossed (although that buggers up my knitting something fierce) for all of the good stuff to come to fruition and such.

Anonymous said...

The purse is fantastic -- so glamorous!

I'm glad to hear that you are getting back to your first love. It's great to have the courage to reinvigorate your dreams.