Tuesday, June 07, 2005

I Just Don't Know...

You choose the yarn (translation: run hog wild at CommuKnity, snatching Rowan Denim off the shelves as if a ravenous pack of Yarn Snatchers were nipping at your heels. I was alone in the store mind you, but you never know when the Yarn Snatchers might swoop down and take the last skein/ball/hank of the dye lot you are eyeing). You swatch (translation: knit small square, much smaller than recommended swatch size, determine in vague way that everything will work out well enough.) You start knitting. You stop. You frog. You determine, based on your very scientific approach to swatching, that the resultant camisole, if knit in the largest size, will only fit an emaciated German tooth pick model named Jutta (translation: eyeballing swatch, picture of Jutta in magazine and own size 10 frame you note that it just won't work. Very empirical data!). You move up two needle sizes and fearlessly plunge into knitting (translation: you move up two needle sizes and fearlessly... you get the picture). And amazingly, surprisingly, you are pleasantly surprised. It doesn't look half bad, despite the fact that you knit far longer straps than needed (and have fixed the strap length issue by tying big knots at the tops of the shoulders).

But I just don't know. I am just not in love with it. I like the color, sorta. I like the shape, sorta. It was great fun to knit, sorta. I am just not that into it. I think it makes me look lumpy. And since I moved up two needle sizes the eyelets are humongous! To go without proper support, in this case nothing less than one of those super padded, iron clad Gap tee shirt bras, you will be airing your nipples in a very public peep show! Mein Gott im Himmel! Not a good thing.



Details: Chevron Camisole from the Summer '05 Issue of Rebecca; six balls of Rowan Denim in Memphis; knit on US size 7 needles (up from pattern recommended US size 5).

The upside is I can now start a new project! Oh who am I fooling, I am always working on two or three things at once. I do tend only to have one large project going at a time. I just want to knit everything!

I have been working on a few small felted projects. I made this little quickie bag for a friend who needed a pick me up.



I am about to finish the purse that I promised my friend B. And I have been working on a needle felted teddy bear. I'll post more pictures tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the tank looks good, but you're right, gotta find the right undergarment or else...

Sounds like you approached this project with a proper sense of panache and bravado, there is no other way!

Christie said...

Aw...you don't like your tank? I made one that I just finished too. I like how mine looks, I also knit it on bigger needles, the holes don't bug me, I have a nude bra, so it's not that bad. Aw...I'm so sad!

Chela Jane said...

Christie, I think my tank top will find a better home with my friend AMB -she is a little slip of a thing, perfect for it. I do like it, just not for me. I would knit it again, I think I might have a problem with the color - I don't really do navy, I just was seized by yarn greed in the store.

Anmiryam, thank you for the compliment. I am laboring my way through a test piece for Butterfly, but the Kid Skilk is driving me NURTS! (although Gina loves it when I work with floaty yarn, a kitten's dream come true).