Wednesday, June 01, 2005

A-Roving we will go

Carin Engen's beautiful,hand dyed roving arrived at Yarn Dogs yesterday, and I had pick of the litter! The merino is wonderfully soft and the colors glow. I brought it home and compared it to my home Kool-Aid dyed roving. I think my roving came from a derelict sheep, with a serious dry skin problem.

Carin's roving glowing in the early evening sunlight, lovingly posed on an age kissed bistro table.



My skanky roving, reeking of orangeade and berry, writhing scratchily on a dried up teak table.



See them together. Note how the lustrous black roving recoils with disgust from the proximity to the shocking, limeade roving.



The merino roving is so... voluptuous. That is the only word for it. Working with it is a tactile sensation! Even my bizarre first attempt at hat making was a joy to create.

Pinhead cloche displayed on pilates body rolling ball.




I really would like to make hats, cloches in particular. I am having a real urge to revisit the 1920s. I adored the '20s when I was a girl. My grandmother told me great tall tales of dancing the Charleston and drinking bathtub gin. A particular story stand out in my mind where she told me that her date spilled his drink on her and the plaid lining in her coat ran - gotta love that prohibition era hooch. One of my first and most favorite records was a recording of hits from the '20s, including "The Charleston" and "Yessir, She's My Baby". I was in love with 1923. I have a wonderful picture of my grandmother and grandfather standing in front of their house, possibly Denver or Grand Junction, my grandmother is wearing a cloche and what looks like a raccoon coat. It must have been about '26 or '27, she was 22 or 23. She looked fantastic, and the hat! Oh my! I love the clothes, the shoes, the hats, the music. I loved that hints of the '20s that were showing up on the runways last year. Since I don't have a waist, and never have had much of a waist, those styles are perfect for me (don't have much in the boob department either, also very good for the flapper effect).

Anyway I have been looking at a lot of my old costuming books, especially Poiret, Worth, and Erte. I know they are all a little earlier than the Flapper era, but that is what I have lying around, and they really informed the looser, shorter styles that came about in the '20s. The hats are great fun. I think I can make them. I just need to get a hat form (is there such an animal?) and go to. I suppose I could knit a cloche and then felt it, but there is so much more control when you work with roving. I say this like I am an expert... what I really mean to say is that I have an illusion of control!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yams and Skanky Roving. Now, aren't you being a little HARD on yourself? I thought that the CHEEEEESE rode alone...Cheesy Yams with Bad Attitudes. Oh, and the bit about losing your place in Lost...high-freaking-larious and OH so true. I spin during that stuff...I would never be able to pay attention to anything but mindless repetitive nonsense! You are not alone. Hooray for Tivo, Baby.