Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Oh frabjous day!

I did it! I figured out the wrap and turn all by my lonesome! It is a stitch increase! I am not a blithering idiot! And it doesn't leave annoying little holes, like my first attempt did! I can knit! I am allowed to run and play with pointy sticks!

I have not had a chance to take pictures of this most marvelous miracle, since I discovered the key to the wrap stitch increase at about 10:30 last night, but in the spirit of learning new applications, I have used Microsoft Painter to create some faboo illustrations of my new found talents!

Illustration #1*

Here the red stitch illustrates the slipped stitch.

Illustration #2

Here the green squiggly shows the yarn passing to the front of the slipped stitch. OK so it looks like scrap yarn, but trust me its attached to the ball. Now you pass the slipped stitch back on to the left needle.

And herein lies the difference between making a hole in your knitting and actually make a new stitch! Instead of looping the yarn all the way around the stitch, the yarn goes over the top of the right needle:

Illustration #3


You then knit the stitch you passed back to the left needle, keeping the "wrapped" stitch over the right needle. Magically you now have two stitches where there was only one!!!!



Please forgive the unevenness in the lengths of the needles, the varyng number of stitches, the wavering length of the "knitted fabric", and the randomness in the size of the ball of yarn. I consider it a feat to have created these illustrations at all! Gives y'all an idea of how busy I am at work...


* Please note that although I am inspired by Kristy of She Just Walks Around with It, I am in no way attempting to poach her sensational line drawings. In the words of C.C. Colton, "Imitation is the sincerest flattery" (who knew? I just learned that the quote I have always misquoted {sincerest form}and long assumed was Oscar Wilde is actually C.C. Colton. And I don't even know who he is!) So despite the fact that I was trying to cleverly work Wilde into this, and can't other than by mischance, I hope that my illustrations are viewed as flattery. Enjoy them now; I won't be putting myself through that kind of fiddly torture again any time soon. Drawing is HARD!

******


More CC Colton:

"Applause is the spur of noble minds, the end and aim of weak ones". (Commenatary about bloggers from beyond the 18th century grave? Hmmmmmmm)

"It is always safe to learn, even from our enemies; seldom safe to venture to instruct, even our friends". (I guess I won't be teaching anyone to knit anytime soon, someone might lose an eye)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I had meant to look at this pattern after you mentioned it the other day, but I've been in a zone this week. Saves me the trouble of deciphering it when I go to make this piece (it's on the never ending to do list).