Thursday, April 21, 2005

Beginning my studies the first step pleas'd me so much *

Photographs from the rock garden in late evening




Right now I am a menace with my digital camera. I am making a practice upon returning home for the evening of taking photos of anything I can. I clearly have issues with composition, focus and exposure. But I figure if I practice daily, I can only get better... right? I am really frustrated with the focus issue - the composition looks focused when I get ready to take the picture, so what happens? Dunno. Any hints? I am using a Pentax Optio. I really do love it, and when I take good pictures they are out of this world, its just that is a 300 to 1 ratio right now.

I am going to take a few classes this summer. Promise

And now for knitting content

Godiva thinks that sleeves are reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly boring


I am plugging away at the Hoodie. I only wish that sleeves would knit themselves. These sleeves are particularly tedious, as they have NO shaping! Just big ole rectangles of endless turquoise cotton! Bleh. This brings up a question that has plagued this newbie knitter - why are sleeves always listed last in patterns? Is there some reason that we should knit our sleeves last? If so I am screwing myself by knitting the sleeves second? I think that the front is going to be great fun to knit. More on the hoodie later.

The choli pattern came in the mail on Monday. I have swatched for the choli project. This weekend I will take the swatches and the pattern and try to figure out how to make a flat pattern into a knitting pattern. Has anyone out there done this? Any suggestions?


These are the yarns that are candidates for the choli.


*Walt Whitman from "Inscriptions" Leaves of Grass.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no reason at all why you can't knit the sleeves first. Lots of people do -- it's a good way to swatch! Your working on the project, but if your gauge is off, you don't have that much to rip.

The only caveat is that you need to take care to adjust the length or width of the sleeves if you plan on making any changes to the sweater. I mostly leave sleeves until last so that I can judge when they are the right length given the actual fit at the shoulders of the body pieces.

Another trick people use is to knit both sleeves at the same time to insure they match. The downside to this technique is that you really feel stranded on sleeve island as the knitting will go even slower!

I've heard of people using flat patterns to knit by figuring the gauge, then casting on stitches to reach the needed width and then simply increasing or decreasing to match the outline of the pattern where needed. Good luck, it looks like a fun project.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I am looking for a choli pattern from a long time but never found one. I saw the picture of the pattern, thats the one I am looking for. Can you please let me know about the name of the company and the pattern number?
Thanks.
Sultana