Friday, April 29, 2005

YO dilemma

In working on the lace pattern for the Hoodie, I think I may be making a critical error in my yarn overs. I am fine when I YO knitwise, but when I YO purlwise I seem to have a larger loop. I think I may be creating YO and half in the purlwise YOs. Is it possible?

I think I've got the YO to the knit side down. Here is my YO knitwise:


Here is my YO purlwise:


It is hard to tell from the photographs, but when I YO to the purlside the yarn starts in the back, so I end up making an entire loop over the needle. When I YO to the knit side the yarn starts in the front, and I simply lay the yarn over the needle to make the knit stitch in back. Am I YO'ing to much on the purlside? Or too little knitwise? Will it tighten up in when I block it? I should add that I am knitting with cotton, so I don't hold out much hope for shrinkage.

Aside from my YO confusion I am loving this pattern. And now that the boooooooooooooooring sleeves and the endless back are finished, the rest is gravy. Can't wait to sew it together. I actually enjoy finishing ever since I purchased The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read that the purl stitch uses twice the yarn as a knit stitch, maybe if you tried knitting backwards? It's pretty easy once you get going, although I have to purl a stitch partially, flip the piece, finish the purl etc. in order to remember how to do it backwards if I let more than a day or so go between working on it.

Maybe knitting tighter? Your lace does look lovely though. Beautiful color.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're doing YOs correctly--basically just get the yarn over the needle and back in position for the next stitch. Depending on what type of stitch precedes the YO and what follows, the yarn will have to travel slightly different distances to complete the maneuver.

Mine are never all the same size but I've learned not to sweat it too much. Once you block, you may find that things even up quite a bit!