Friday, April 15, 2005

Unreasonable? Arrogant?

...of me to think that I can knit a choli? I just purchased "South Asian Tops and Wraps" from Folkwear, which includes a good, basic choli top. I have made the pattern a number of times... out of fabric. With summer coming, it just seems like a good idea. I assume I will need a fiber that does not have much give - silk? cotton silk blend? Any ideas?

Anyway how hard can it be? Shaped pieces for the front cups, under bust panel, and side boob framing pieces (like my technical language?), a fairly basic back, some additional shaping in the sleeves. Since it will be knitted I think I can forgo the underarm gusset, the knit fabric should have a little more give to it, and I think gusset seams might add too much bulk in the pits.

Did I mention that I have only been knitting for about two years? That I am fairly incapable of following directions? That all of my projects are deeply personalized with little love flaws? That I am generally very driven to finish things so I can get on to the next project, hence I rarely frog unless it is the only recourse? And for my next trick, I'll knit a farthingale! HAHA!

I am sure you are wondering why I purchased the pattern if I have made it in the past... well, the pattern wasn't mine. I used to work for a designer/costumer at a small shop in San Francisco, Labyrith Phassions and Costumes, where the choli top was one of our staples. We made them up in traditional sari fabric, printed velvets, brocades; you name it we pretty much made it. I had a lovely one for a number of years, made of vintage sari silk, which smelled like onions (most of our sari fabrics did) and finally shredded along the seams.

I finished the back of the hoodie, but it hardly merits a photo. Looks like a big 'ole greenish/blue cotton square (dish cloth, perhaps?). Instead, I leave you with a photo I took in the ancient royal city of Ayutthaya, Thailand, August of 2003.

No comments: