Monday, April 25, 2005

WHY??????

Why????? Waahhhhh!

I have developed an acute case of chronic Sunday night insomnia. Last Sunday night I slept nary a wink, but I attributed it to the large chocolate sundae and the double espresso shot (albeit decaf, I am sure it had a psychological impact). So yesterday I was really careful, nothing remotely chocolate or containing caffeine hours before bed. Was it the decaf latte at 2pm? Did I get caffeine by mistake? Was it the shopping buzz? Crammed in a small dressing room on Union Street with my friend AMB trying on poorly made peasant skirts that we decided we needed RIGHT THEN? Was it working on the reversible frost flower lace too late into the evening? Is it my re-reading of 1984? Aggggh!

At 11 I finish swatching the reversible frost flowers lace pattern.



The swatch looks great.
.I decide to go to bed, even though I am not terribly tired. I get in bed, frozen solid because I have been sitting in concentrated knitting pose, barefoot, for several hours. I weasel my feet over to the husband's side of the bed and place my Popsicle toes on his warm legs. Diva dog glares at me as I disturb her sleep trying to get in near the husband's radiant calves (it never seems to occur to her that I don't take kindly to the 6 am ear shattering wake up barks, so I figure a little dog jostling is not out of question, but the looks that dog gives when she is disturbed - wow!). I start to read 1984. Winston is about to go to visit O'Brien. I know how it ends, but for some reason this reading feels like watching a train wreck in slow motion. The book is affecting me a little too much this evening. I put it down. I decide that a little light creative reading is in order. I pick up Knitting on the Edge. It’s too cumbersome to read in a prone position. I put it down. I get up, go downstairs to get water. Return to my office and pull out the latest Rebecca and Interweave magazines. I flip through Interweave, and realize (again) that I wasted my dime on this issue. Put it down. Make the mistake of looking at the clock. Shit, its 12:36am. I have to be up in 5 1/2 hours! Ok, ok. I'll pee, again, and see if I have any of those Exedrin PM's left. Pee, pop the Excedrin PM, and pick up Rebecca. Read a couple patterns, make mental lists. Look at the clock! Agh WHY did I do that???? 1:09am. Decide that a shot of bourbon is the only way to make it work. Go downstairs, pour healthy shot of bourbon. Go back to bed, worm re-popsicled toes over to warm side of bed, stick tongue out at pissy dog. Turn out light. Close eyes, and immediately begin to hallucinate reverse frost flower lace pattern.
Glare at clock with one eye... 1:25, 1:52, 2:36, 3:02. 5:30 rolls around and some guy starts talking loudly about traffic in Fremont. Husband gets out of bed and showers. I pull all of his pillows and pile them on my head. This will make me sleep. He leaves the house at 6:15. I need to be up at 6:30 to get to work on time. The pillows do their magic. I wake up at 7:24 after 69 minutes of sleep, not a one of them refreshing. My tongue is stuck to the roof of my mouth, my hair is dirty, and it feels like someone has poured sand in my eyes. I can't get to work by 8 and not look like I spent the weekend on a bender. So I am late. Hopefully the artful application of blush and mascara has tricked my co-workers into thinking I am awake today. I'm not.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY? Do I have this Sunday night disease? I don't even have a particularly stressful job.


On a completely different subject, is it ok to put up a link of a blog that you read without first having contacted the author? What is the protocol? Since I am so new and all....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you got some more sleep last night!

Linking without asking goes on all the time!

Rabbitch said...

Sorry 'bout your Sunday Night Syndrome. Hope you manage to get it beat.

With regard to linking, I used to always ask, then I told, now I just usually do it when I find something amusing, and am flattered when I discover my link on another page (thank you, btw).