Tuesday, April 12, 2005

"The Learning Curve", or "Why it is wise to follow directions"

I have just learned how to lose a post! Oh joy!

A number of weeks ago I was loading the dishwasher, in my own style, when the husband suggested/pointed out/kindly advised that my placement of the wooden spoons in the flatware basket would interfere with the free movement of the spinny/washy thingie. He went on to ask why I was doing this when it had not worked in the past, and that since he had told me this on several occasions, he did not understand why I persisted. To which I replied, " 'Cos, I don't listen".

This illustrates one of my more endearing personality quirks. I don't listen, I don't follow directions, I don't like to swatch, I don't like to save. Hence I have lost a post due to my unwillingness (blithe disregard for the kind suggestion "SAVE AS DRAFT" staring me in the face from the bottom of the screen?) to save. I have knit more than a few oddly shaped objects. To wit the oddly shaped French Market Basket (from Knitty) pictured with the laborious, boring progress on the back of the hoodie. (This photo does not do justice to the irregularity of the market basket - looks kinda groovy from this vantage)



The Market Basket is really cute, but weirdly shallow and the handles are not easily placed for carrying. I attribute this to the fact that it is one of my earliest projects, and the first that I felted (this is of course my excuse and a cover up for the whole unwillingness to follow directions/swatch/listen thing).

How about that tape measure!



In an effort to free myself from the fetters of patterns and directions in general I am attempting to whip up a felted summer bag of my own creation.



Love those colors! And I have found that Cascade 220 felts up like a dream (a small, tight dream, but a dream nonetheless). Will post bag if it turns out (and perhaps even if it doesn't).

This is what Corsa thinks about following directions, and vegetables.



Disclaimer: I have since listened to the sage advice with regards the dishwasher, and our dishes are cleaner... and lest anyone think ill of the husband, he is the most wonderful guy out there!

No comments: