Thursday, May 26, 2005

I knit, really I do, but last night I got LOST

Oh my oh my oh my, its good to know that I am not the only
knit blogger out there who is consumed with worry for Walt's safety! And Sawyer? And Jin? And Sayid? Ack. It really should be called Lost; Island of Hot Men. Is it just me, or does anyone else wonder about the connection between JOHN LOCKE 17th century ideologue and philosopher who believed in the essential goodness of man and the inalienable right to freedom, and DANIELLE (Jean Jaques) ROUSSEAU 18th century philosopher who contended that man is naturally good, that man is corrupted by his engagement in society? hmmmmmm? Ok so our John Locke is not exactly demonstrating his faith in human kind by blowing up the hatch when it so clearly disturbs Hurley. And Danielle is just plain whacked, but maybe deep down she is the the noble savage... or maybe she is the antithesis of Jean-Jaques' belief that society corrupts, and that in fact it is only through our society with our fellow man (and by man I mean humanity in the academic sense, not to offend or present a gender bias). Or maybe she stole Claire's baby in order to save him from the offences of society...

I didn't even realize that Sawyer was such a hottie until last night when Walt caught him reading the notes from the islanders. The camera panned in on him in his jerry-rigged glasses, and well my knees went all jiggly. Shivers. He has that bad boy mystique; a thoroughly reprehensible man, and yet, irresistible. There are glimpses of humanity in him. Is he Tom Sawyer all grown up and gone bad? Yah, I think so. But will he be back? One of Popeye's crewmembers shot him!

Why did Claire name her baby Aaron at the last minute? What mechanical boogey man got Locke? And despite the plane crash is Hurley/Hugo's luck changing? The nice Oceania crew member said to him, "Its your lucky day", as they let him on the flight back to Los Angeles. Irony? Or maybe something more? And the spooky, snaky smoke?

This show is ripe with symbolism, just ready for the picking. I am just so terribly bummed that we have to wait an entire summer to get
LOST again! I guess I'll just have to re-visit the TiVo'd shows and work up my theories over the long, dull, sunny summer. Humph.

And TV induced anxiety is hell, HELL I tell you, on tension. Witness the mess:


It’s a good thing that the purse I was working on during the season finale of 24 is going to get felted because it is all wonky. (Not to get back on the TV horse again, cos really I don’t watch that much. Really I don't... but wasn’t it nice to see Tony and Michelle back together? I got all teary. And heart pounding when we thought that Jack was dead, for that brief moment in time. But now he is poised to be Jack Baur, Super Duper Undercover Secret Spy Man. ‘Nuf TV for now.)

Now that all the good TV is over I will be able to get down to the serious business of paying attention to my knitting again. I fully intend to finish the camisole this week, and start Butterfly over the weekend. I am a little apprehensive about starting Butterfly. I really, really, really want it, but I am so worried that I am going to bollix it up, and the kid silk is so finicky. Also after the generosity of a certain knit blogger, who translated the pattern for me, I really feel the need to succeed!

I promise, from here on out there will be more knitting, and less TV. At least until next season…

Does anyone know when the new season starts…(feeling a little like Charlie before he discovered the stash of Virgin Mary statues…)

No comments: