Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Messy measuring and grafting gone wrong...

(WARNING, there are no pictures in this post because my Camera and I had a minor disagreement on Memorial Day)

I did finish the Chevron Tank top. But I some how lack the capability to accurately translate 25cm into something that I can understand. Yes I have a tape measure that measures both in inches and centimeters. Yes, I understand the need to measure twice, knit once. Yah yah yah. The pattern "suggests" that you knit 25cm of strap for the tank top. This translates to boobs somewhere around my waist. Not a good look. Those German models must be rail thin and ginormously tall! I do not span 12.5 cm from the top of my boob to my shoulder! Silly me, I asked the Husband to eyeball where the straps fell, and accepted his, "looks about right" (this is the man is always befuddled by the shape and size of my clothing, this is also the same man who bought me the most beautiful cowboy boots - four times - because he thought my feet looked like a size six, or seven, maybe eight... try ten???) Doubly silly me I grafted the straps to the back before I tried it on!!!! Scheiße! I may not be a German Giantess with low-slung boobs, but I can swear like one!

All is not lost; I will just cut the straps on the tank top, unravel 2 inches (or 5cm, see I can do the math...) of strap and re-graft the straps at the shorter length. I will measure this time. I could even use Dolores, my dressmaker's dummy, instead of the spouses' eyeball, which would be a better use for her than presentt gig as creepy headless office mate...

To top off the low boobage debacle, my camera ate all the loverly photos that I took prior to blocking, sewing and grafting! There is a little button, set far, far away from all the other little buttons on the back of my camera. This little button looks like a trash can. When you repeatedly press this little button in an attempt to get a menu to pop up, you apparently delete the contents of the memory card. Again with the reading instructions! I am beginning to see that there may be an advantage to reading manuals.

1 comment:

Christie said...

damn that sucks. I made that tank [for when I get cute and skinny like all the cute and skinny German girls in the Rebecca mag] and lo and behold it's a little small, but still wearable. I also had issues with the straps but other knitting projects have kept me from fixing them.