Monday, May 09, 2005

Never One Tattoo

Falling in love again,
Never one, but two,
Oh what am I to do?
I canhhhn't help it.


Sung in my best Marlene Dietrich (who incidentally I do very well; might have something to do with the fact that neither of us can sing. Also always thought that the chorus to that song was "never one tattoo" it all made sense. If you are constantly falling in love, it would stand to reason that you might have a list of your lovers’ names tattooed on your various appendages. Yes? Well I think so!)

But I digress.

I am falling in love again with the latest LYS on our block. The gorgeous CommunKnity in San Jose; beautiful natural light. And soon they will have a terrific, well-lit classroom in the back. Can't wait... might even get up the courage to take a class or two and met other actual knitters! Yikes! So far, my knitting obsession has been a fairly private affair. I share it with my husband, who oohs and ahhs richly, wondering how I can do what I do (honey, I can't figure out how internal combustion works and you can take a car apart and put it back together - that is your knitting, this is mine) and my mom, who oohs and ahhs richly, because I am her daughter, and she is a knitter, and we are both so thrilled to share a hobby.

I am falling in love with more Rowan yarns. I was prepared not to like the denim yarns. I am not that interested in jeans, not that interested in yarn that behaves like jeans. Hello, fading and shrinking are not things that I am all that in love with... or so I thought. A visit to CommunKnity changed that, all that light, all those colors, and I was drawn across the room to the rich blue denim yarns.

Being an inveterate stash-o-holic, I bought enough denim yarn to knit this "Chevron Tank Top" from Rebecca...


I have been eyeing this skirt from the same issue of Rebecca, so I bought enough Rowan cotton glace to knit it up, in a rich, rich red.

(please note that cute German-Sarah-Jessica-Parker-like model has a bit of a belly - rah rah!)

Then I made the dangerous mistake of touching the Cash Soft line. I had my own little fondle fest... did the dusty lavender feel softer than the grey? Yum Yum Yum. I suppose the lavender did feel softer than the grey because somehow this came home with me as well.


On top of this I am still in love with my hoodie, which is nearing completion. I did have to set it aside last evening in order to play with my new yarn... or rather I chose to set it aside in order to play with my new yarn. As you might have noticed I did start on the Chevron Tank Top. Ooops. But I did make a great deal of progress on the hoodie before I set it aside. The back and the sleeves are blocked (no photo - booooooring). I have finished the right front, and am about half way up the left front. This pattern is very clever, almost so clever it nearly defeated me. The front is knit in one piece; starting with the right side of the hood, down the right front, then up the left front to finish the left side of the hood. The turn from right side to left side was a bit of a trial, had to frog it three times before I finally got it right. Don't ask me how I did it, I had already gone to my happy place...

And lastly I am still in love with Butterfly and the Kid Silk Haze. The wonderful doyen of "Gromit Knits" translated the pattern from "propah" English to "Amurican" for me. I am utterly blown away by her kindness, to help a fumbling newbie on the other side of the country. I am practicing the lace pattern in heavier gauge cotton before I start with the Kid Silk Haze per her suggestion. I can only hope that the stash fairy smiled on her with great favor in MD this past weekend.

2 comments:

Christie said...

Love the Chevron Tank. I made one too, I just need to finish off the straps. I guess I should do it now, since it's heating up. It's really quick, unless you make mistakes and have to reknit the whole thing twice like I did. Love that skirt too, red will be beautiful. I attempted to start the butterfly tank with some Alpaca Cloud, but had to put it down until I could give it my undivided attention.

Anonymous said...

Great project choices and I'm an inveterate Rowan knitter lo these many years.

Living so close to CommuKnity gives you a built in blogging community. If you haven't yet, check out Nathania's blog: Purls Beyond Price. She's the manager of the store and can hook you up with a lot of local knitting talent! What fun...